Simple Mother's Day Cake Recipe
With Mother's Day just around the corner, we thought we'd help you out with a simple recipe of the classic sponge cake. All the ingredients can be found at your local Coles supermarket, making it an easy one-stop-shop to prepare this cake.
You will need:
- 1/3 cup (50g) plain flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) self-raising flour
- 1/3 cup (50g) cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 x 60g eggs, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup (150g) caster sugar
- Whipped cream, for filling
- Fresh fruit, for filling
- Icing sugar, for dusting
Grease 2 x deep, 20cm round cake tins (or different tins, as directed in individual recipes) and line bases with baking paper. Sift flours and 1/4 teaspoon salt together three times to aerate.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Using an electric mixer, beat eggs and sugar in a large bowl on medium-high speed for 6 minutes, or until mixture is thick, pale and tripled in volume.
- Gradually sift flour mixture over egg mixture while simultaneously folding in with a large metal spoon until just combined. Divide mixture between prepared tins. To level batter, gently spin tins on kitchen counter. Bake for 20 minutes (or as directed in individual recipes), or until cakes have shrunk away from the sides slightly and spring back when gently touched.
- Turn out on to baking paper-lined wire racks. Carefully peel away baking paper, then leave to cool.
- Fill with whipped cream and your choice of fresh fruit. Dust with icing sugar.
It's as simple as that! To all the Mothers out there, the Mobilize Me team wishes you a wonderful Mother's Day